Monday, October 12, 2009

Sangin Night-uh



I take allot of taxis here, they are cheap, safe and the the subway stops running at 11:30 PM. The only issue with taking taxi's is that the best way to direct a driver to my apartment is to say "Sangin Night-uh ju-si-oh" Which means please take me to the local nightclub. Nightclub has a different meaning in Korean than at home. A night club is often a hostess bar where the women "flirt" with you and if you buy a private room maybe a little more. Not quite a brothel (although Korea has its fair share of those) the Nightclub is certainly a sexual trade. I have actually been inside of the infamous Sangin Nights and it seemed pretty tame with a pathetic stage show and little to no clientele. Perhaps that's because of the street were I work is littered with business clubs. Business clubs are one of the many thinly veiled places to buy sexual services in Korea. Business club is for "business men" to drink with co-workers and often have company provided for them. Many nori-bangs (singing rooms) have girls who will sing with you and then solicit sex. Ticket da-bangs (tea rooms) are coffee delivery service which is a actually a call-girl. I almost discovered this the hard way.

The reason I know about this is mainly my good friend Internet but also because it doesn't hide. The picture at the start of this post is the same doorway to the school. The three words at the bottom of the picture say Chinese/Russian/Filipino. About once a month I get harassed by a drunk man calling me Russian aka a whore. I just tell him "No pervert!" in Korean and they usually wander off after a while. Ah the charms of being a female traveler. How Korea maintains a self-image of a super conservative country blows my mind. The sex trade is 1.6% of Korea's GDP which is down from twice that in 2004! As a person I am passionately against prostitution as it dehumanizes women and creates a environment of abuse. I wonder if the Korean government will ever stop looking the other way.



And in a much lighter note I've decided to keep you updated with k-pop. "Kiss" is a new solo by a singer in 2NE1. Can you make a solo if you group debuted in March? This song just came out and while I don't care much for the song the video is hilarious. Who is the sponsor??

14 comments:

  1. Dad said he liked your "hard-hitting" journalism" piece! Me too. Prostitution is so sad. And imagine being an "imported" prostitute - that's got to be the lowest of the low.
    Don't worry about the "name-calling" - consider the source. (city life is not for me!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. that video was quite epic! i really think i could follow it better if i knew what they were saying... :/ Also i would like to mention that the guy in the video looks like an asian adam lambert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I constantly like to read a top quality content having accurate info pertaining to the subject and the exact same thing I found in this article. Nice job.amsterdam startup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracefully written information on this blog are going to support me for my coming assignments. Every point was very clear and taught me few new parameters. I would like to use this information in coming future.
    bioresonantietherapie amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  5. written content. I added new knowledge to my database for essay writing skill.
    bioresonantietherapie amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    Find commute in best area

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform.
    opleiding medium

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for such a valuable and informative platform I find here. I am regular to read publication of this blog and definitely waiting for more articles.cranio sacraal therapie amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for such a valuable and informative platform I find here. I am regular to read publication of this blog and definitely waiting for more articles.kookles amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help.cranio sacraal therapie amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very luxurious post so far. Katie, you have left a nice experience to your readers. The content you made seems wonderful and joyous. Thanks a lot for sharing for us. 유흥알바 여우알바

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somewhere the content of the blog surrounded by little arguments. Yes it is healthy for readers. They can include this kind of language in their writing skill as well as while group discussion in college.bioresonantietherapie amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  13. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.cranio sacraal amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I constantly like to read a top quality content having accurate info pertaining to the subject and the exact same thing I found in this article. Nice job.bioresonantie therapie

    ReplyDelete