Monday, July 13, 2009

Boryeong Mud Festival



Hello everyone! This weekend was Mud Festival, the largest festival for foreigners in Korea. I would say the festival population was almost half Koreans and half foreigners. All that English being spoken, crazy! The idea of Mud Fest is that the Mud at Boryeong Beach is great for your skin, so why not paint it all over your body? There was mud pools, mud slides and mud pots where you painted yourself (these where strangely called self massage zones...).

My group arrived around noon and made it down to the beach to get dirty at one. It was a blast, get dirty and then wash off in the Ocean. Repeat. I even went to a color mud station were I painted myself with yellow, blue, red and green mud. This lasted until around six when it started to pour. A non-stop downpour that lasted till the end of the next day. I went back to the hostel, ate the school bbq (only potato salad I have ever liked!) and got ready to go out in the rain for fireworks and a stage show.

I ended up missing the shows because a 30 minute walk was doubled by the rain. My friend Kelly and I then tried to meet up with friends a a house party...for three hours. We went home at one, managing to not attend a single party at the largest party weekend of the year. I was pretty upset.

The next morning I was planning on swimming before the bus left but it was a thunder storm and no one was allowed in the water. My friends an I played 4 hours of cards to pass the time. It was a wash out all around. I am pretty disappointed about my once in a lifetime chance being rained out. The beginning was prefect however and I'm glad I went. This week is my first Hapkido belt test so I have been training extra hard. I'll post again soon and hopefully I'll have my yellow on Friday!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. bummer about the weather on the remainder of the trip. This photo you uploaded is like a Where's Waldo picture. Does that guy on the very left of the picture have mud whiskers painted on? Also the guy in the picture reminds me of Hugh Jackman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also looks like the updated the comment tool on Blogspot. Hopefully this will help some of your family who were having problems with leaving comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha, That's my friends finance and your right, he kinda does look like him! I'm glad the comment tool is working out. I was harassing my Dad saying people over 55 couldn't comment but I guess now I may have to up the age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUCK! Guess I don't see the appeal of mud. Still, I bet it was quite a sight to see. Rained here too over the weekend. Not as much mud tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! Did you notice a difference in your skin after the mud bath?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooooo looks like fun! i misssss youuu! did i smell bad..? haha just wondering

    ReplyDelete
  7. mud and thunderstorms sounds pretty intense! I'm sorry I missed out on the mud bikini though :(

    ReplyDelete